The Essex Spartans presented more than 30 awards to players and staff at the club’s annual Presentation of Awards Evening on Saturday.
The Academy celebrated an exceptional season for both its Under-17 and Under-19 teams, first being presented with the Tony Palmer Memorial Trophy for the Under-17s defeat of Hertfordshire Cheetahs during the 2015 pre-season.
Aaron Jackson and William Halton were voted Rookie of the Year for their respective teams, whilst Evan Clutterbuck and Chezney Strandring won the Coaches Player of The Year awards.
It was night to celebrate for Owen Attard , Toby Garner and Ryan McLoughlin who each won two awards. Attard was named Overall Team MVP for the Under-17s, as well as being the first winner of the new Tony Palmer Academy Man of the Year Award, in memory of the Spartans founding father who passed away last year.
18-year-old Garner won both the prestigious Overall Team MVP for the Under-19s team and the Players Player of the Year, voted for by his Under-19 teammates; McLoughlin also won the Player’s Player of the Year for the Under-17s and the Offensive MVP for the same team.
In the senior team David Macpherson won Offensive Lineman of the Year for the third year running, and 2014’s Overall Team MVP Aaron Millar won this year’s Defensive MVP Award.
A night of double headers, senior running back Dwayne Ferdinand also won two awards as the Most Improved Player on Offence and was also the very first recipient of the brand new ‘Above and Beyond’ award.
Myles Peterson won Offensive Rookie of the Year whilst Ricky Pease won the Defensive counterpart.
For the first time ever the senior team coaching staff awarded the Overall Team MVP award to two players – Harry Shelton and Ernest Owusu share the honour for 2015.
The Essex Spartans would like to congratulate all our award winners on their much-deserved accolades, and thank all players and staff for their commitment through the 2015 season.
See below for a full list of winners.
Essex Spartans Academy Awards
- Tony Palmer Academy Man of the Year – Owen Attard
- Under-17s Rookie of the Year – Aaron Jackson
- Most Improved Player – Harry Pilcher
- Coaches Player of the Year – Evan Clutterbuck
- Player’s Player of the Year – Ryan McLoughlin
- Defensive MVP – James Hardie-Davis
- Offensive MVP – Ryan McLoughlin
- Overall MVP – Owen Attard
- Under-19s Rookie of the Year – William Halton
- Most Improved Player – Thomas Macfarlane
- Coaches Player of the Year – Chezney Standring
- Player’s Player of the Year – Toby Garner
- Defensive MVP – Jarod Rathbone
- Offensive MVP – Max Lucy
- Special Teams MVP – James Brown
- Overall MVP – Toby Garner
- Above and Beyond – Dwayne Ferdinand
- Most Improved Player (Offence) – Dwayne Ferdinand
- Most Improved Player (Defence) – Tom Kitchen
- Offensive Rookie of the Year – Myles Peterson
- Defensive Rookie of the Year – Ricky Pease
- Offensive Lineman of the Year – Dave MacPherson
- Defensive Lineman of the Year – Eugene Tangney
- Offensive MVP – Ray Shaahu
- Defensive MVP – Aaron Millar
- Special Teams MVP – Norris Owusu
- Overall MVP – Harry Shelton and Ernest Owusu